Salmon is a fatty fish rich in omega 3, iodine, magnesium, B vitamins and is a great source of protein, this makes it an ideal food to lower cholesterol and triglycerides and treat other cardiovascular conditions, in addition to providing great benefits for the organism. The ways to prepare salmon are quite wide and consuming it smoked is a fairly common way, whether in sushi, salads or appetizers and this can vary its nutritional characteristics. In this article we show you how to make smoked salmon.
- 1 fresh salmon fillet.
- ½ kg of coarse smoked salt.
- 150 gr of sugar.
- Sprigs of dill.
- Olive oil.
Steps to follow to make this recipe:
- It is recommended that if you have bought fresh salmon, you should freeze it for 48 hours since the fish will not cook and it is a way to prevent parasites that may be in it. Take the salmon out of the fridge and wait for it to thaw. The next step to make smoked salmon is to wash the fish, remove any damaged parts, if applicable, and remove the bones. Dry it with kitchen paper.
- In a bowl mix the smoked salt, which you can get in any supermarket, with the sugar. In a source, place a layer of the previous mixture and put the salmon loin on top, skin side down. Cover the top of the salmon with the rest of the salt and sugar.
- Wrap the entire source with plastic wrap and now it will be necessary to exert pressure on the salmon so that the salt and sugar mixture can penetrate better, for this place two bricks of whatever drink, so that there is weight. You can also wrap these in plastic wrap or leave them without it and put it in the fridge.
- This step of how to make smoked salmon will depend on how smoked you want it and the thickness of the salmon loin, you can leave it between 24 and 48 hours marinating. Once the time that you decided has passed, you will see that the salmon has released a lot of water, remove it from the source, wash it with cold water, but not excessively and you will see that its color has changed slightly to a more reddish one.
- This step of how to make smoked salmon will depend on how smoked you want it and the thickness of the salmon loin, you can leave it between 24 and 48 hours marinating. Once the time that you decided has passed, you will see that the salmon has released a lot of water, remove it from the source, wash it with cold water, but not excessively and you will see that its color has changed slightly to a more reddish one.5
- Dry it with kitchen paper and now is the time to cut it up. With a very sharp knife, begin to cut the salmon into thin slices starting at the widest part of the loin. Put it in a bowl and add a drizzle of olive oil and the dill sprigs.
- There are other ways to prepare smoked salmon, there are those who add a splash of Bourbon to marinate before adding the smoked salt or adding the lemon zest and dill to that mixture of salt and sugar. You can use this recipe for homemade smoked salmon to add it to a toast with cream cheese, place it in your salads, and make a quiche or cakes.
- The way to preserve smoked salmon is in a container with a lid, in the fridge for no more than 1 week and a half or you can also freeze it.