The mussels are the most nutritious and seafood beneficial to the organism in the world. In addition, its distinctive flavor makes it the protagonist of many recipes but one of the most popular, especially in coastal areas, is that of mussels a la marinera. There are many varieties of this sauce, and in the following article we show you a simple way to make it, which everyone will love. Find out below how to make mussels a la marinera.
- 1 kg of fresh mussels.
- Olive oil.
- 2 bay leaves.
- 1 onion.
- 1 glass of white wine.
- 2 cloves of garlic.
- Coarse salt and 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika.
- 1 tomato.
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce.
Steps to follow to make this recipe:
- Before you start cooking the mussels a la marinera, you must clean them very well. This is perhaps the most laborious step in the recipe. To do it well, take a knife and remove the beards and hairs that protrude from the shells of the mussels. When you have removed them all, run them through water to finish removing any remaining dirt and let them drain a little.
- Now you must cook the mussels following the recipe for steamed mussels. In the article you can see the step by step. You just have to place the mussels in a pot with half a glass of water, the bay leaves and a little salt. Cover the pot, bring to a boil and remove from the heat when you see that the shells have opened.
- Separate the shells, removing the one that does not contain the mussel and reserve the other part that has the mussel meat attached. Then, it is the turn to prepare the marinara sauce. First, chop the onion, the garlic cloves and chop the tomato. In a saucepan with a splash of olive oil, add the onion and minced garlic. When they brown, also add the chopped tomato and simmer for 3 more minutes.
- Next, add the tomato sauce, a glass of white wine, the sweet paprika, the finely chopped parsley and two glasses of water to the saucepan. Stir all the ingredients with a wooden spoon, place the mussels scattered throughout the pan, cover it, and let the mussels finish with the sauce for about 15 minutes over low heat. Stir from time to time so that the sauce thickens.
- Once this time has elapsed, the mussels a la marinara will be perfectly done and ready to serve. In the event that you have cooked the mussels in a clay pot, you can present them directly in it. If, on the other hand, you have to place them on a plate or tray, make sure that the mussels are well seasoned by the sauce.